Rule F: writing has to come First
Linda’s Rules of Writing
We’re onto the letter F in Linda’s Rules of Writing of the A to Z Challenge, and on making sure writing gets done First.
There are so many things now that are in a tug of war for our attention: Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, Pintrest, you name it. Writers have been told they need to build their audience, even before they’ve finished the first book.
I took the We Are Not Alone blog course with Kristen Lamb. One of the striking things was that all these writers got online and started blogging three times a week. I immediately stopped the recommendation to find link lists and videos because, frankly, it took too much time, and I wanted to hold onto my writing time. It’s hard enough working around the job.
About 6 months later, I started seeing my fellow WANAs posting that they had to take time off blogging so they could get back to writing.
Writing the book has to come first. Without the book, all the social media in the world isn’t going to matter.
How have you taken back your time from social media?
I wrote on this same topic for Vision: A Resource for Writers. Check out my article Balancing Writing and Blogging in issue 69.
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)