I wasn’t sure what I would be able to get done today. I woke up a Sinus Zombie—the weather’s all over the place right now, and it’s hard on everyone’s sinuses. We were rather warm today, tomorrow will have rain, and then we’ll probably drop to the normal November weather. Leaves don’t have much color, and they’re now at their peak.
First thing I did was set the timer for 30 minutes and run a quick spell check on Scene 1. Then a quick read through. Mostly, I fixed a few typos (always!), added a sentence. Probably not a lot of cycling here yet, not until the story evolves more. I jumped into Scene 2, wrote until the timer went off, and then did that a second time. All the while, my head kept saying that I wasn’t getting much done (it lies!), and I wound up with 1,400 words.
I’m messy when I write. Sometimes I type something out, and for whatever reason, it evolves itself out as I develop the scene. Like I might think of a line of dialogue, put it in, and then the scene evolves so fast that it leaves that line behind.
When I get these, I Ctrl X them and drop them into a file called Scene # Extras. I’ve heard of writers saving the words in case they can reuse them, but mine’s not like this. I know from experience that if it goes in the extras file, it’s never getting used. It’s something that I needed to write, but wasn’t meant to be in the story. The words still count, because I wrote them and made the effort. Tomorrow, I’ll move them into my Extras folder and start a new file for the next scene.
Day 2 Word count: 1400
Story Total: 2600