This cover refresh is from one of the first three stories I put up. I renamed the story when I indie-published it. The story was originally called Six Bullets. It is a fantasy, but with guns like from the Civil War (a repeating rifle with six bullets). But I figured that people might think it was a Western with the title. So River Flight it became.
The story was published in anthology where I had to use a princess, a boatman, and a lizard. So I made the princess a boatman (soldier rank), and the lizard was the nickname of bunch of bad guys hunting her.
Like with the previous one, I had a hard time finding good images of women in a fantasy world. I also tried hunting for setting images in lieu of people–but there were not many images of water that would have fit the story. I finally found this one and went with it.
While looking for a different image for another cover and ran across this one. “That’s River Flight!” I said. So I made the cover. It’s still a good image, but in a way, the image is a little dark in content for where I’m at now. The story itself is not dark.
This time, I searched images for “princess warrior” because the character is a princess-turned-soldier. The hard part was my head going, “But she’s not dressed like that.” Yeah, but if she’s dressed like a warrior on the cover, then it’s not obvious she’s a princess. Being a princess is a big part of the story, so I hung a lantern on it.
The image itself is much larger. You can see the original here. I flipped it and then adjusted where she’s standing to be at one of the one third points to balance it on the cover. Colors for the sample text are all from her dress.
This one also needed a keyword update, though I had done that back in February with a blurb update. It’s amazing how much I’ve learned about them in the last few months just doing these refreshes.
Link to where the book can be bought.