FAQs on the Army
When did Linda serve in the Army?
The dates were March 1989 to December 2001. This included a short stint in the Reserves, active duty, and National Guard. I got out two months after September 11 happened.
What rank were you?
I was an enlisted soldier. Because I had almost 100 credit hours of college, I came into basic training as a Private First Class. That’s not much different than a Private, but it did mean more pay. I was promoted during Desert Storm to Specialist, and got out with that rank.
What did you do in the military?
I was trained as a truck driver (Motor Transport Operator). However, my two units found out I could type, and I wound up doing administrative duties. At my first duty station, I worked in the training room. At my second duty station, I worked in the orderly room.
Where was Linda stationed in the military?
Mostly at Fort Lewis, Washington. I was supposed to transfer to Germany, but when Desert Storm kicked off, my orders were cancelled. After Fort Lewis, I was transferred to Washington, DC.
I did my basic training and military job training at Fort Dix, New Jersey. In the summer.
What awards did you receive?
These are in the order of precedence.
- Army Commendation Medal
- Joint Service Achievement Medal
- Army Achievement Medal
- Joint Meritorious Unit Award (from Desert Storm) This was a nightmare to put on the uniform in my first duty station. We had three that came with the unit, and this fourth one. The gold bar made it difficult to line up four, especially when the surface wasn’t flat.
- Kuwait Liberation Medal – Government of Saudi Arabia (Desert Storm)
- Kuwait Liberation Medal – Government of Kuwait
- Army Good Conduct Medal (3)
- National Defense Service Medal (Desert Storm)
- Southwest Asian Service Medal with 2 bronze stars (one for Desert Shield, one for Desert Storm)
- Army Service Ribbon